Saturday, March 31, 2007

The post where Megan tries to explain why we're not buying a baby....


So I got the following anonymous (which I find really annoying, why won't people sign their names to their opinions?) comment on this blog and it seems some education is in order.

"Anonymous said... Of course you "buy" the baby. Do you think there aren't kids for adoption in the USA? But if you want all the requirements that the celebs want, the only option is to go overseas and pay the price. This is no different that getting a mail order bride or a mail order groom. You can get one locally so you get one overseas. "

Okay I am going to start with the first part of this- "buying" a baby. We have been quoted with a price somewhere around $20,000 for this process. Quick side note... you probably paid the same amount of money if you had a child naturally. Think of all the hospital expenses, doctors visits too. This just puts things into perspective. But most of the money that we're paying will be for our travel to China to pick up Olivia, tours through the forbidden cities, meals, translators, etc. We will probably have to fly to a different region of China after we land in Beijing and then will have to travel again to Guangzhou to the American consulate.

Another good chunk of the money has been our paperwork. We have filled out medical, financial, autobiographies, etc. and these have all been notarized, authenticated and verified at the State and consulate levels. We had a social worker follow up and analyze our documents, visit our house, meet with us a few times. Also very costly. We have paid around $600 to have our I-171s filled out and fingerprints taken through Dept of Homeland Security. And those will probably expire 2 more times before we go to China. (There is a current push to notify our congress people about this slow down in China and to try to extend the deadline). The only time that we hand over money in China will be when we pay the orphanage head $3000 for the care of our daughter. She will probably be 12 -15 months old and I don't mind paying that to insure that Chinese orphans (and there are a lot of them) have a place to go and receive good care and that there is money to run the adoption system in China.

Okay... on to the next sentence of the comment " Do you think there aren't kids for adoption in the USA?"

Yes we do. We know there are and it breaks my heart. Frankly, the domestic adoption program in the US (what I know of it) scares me*. There is a lot of uncertainty... the wait is longer, the kids can be much older, many more are open adoptions- where you have contact with birth families (which I hear can be great for all involved). Also the birth families "bill of rights" dictates that they get to select the adoptive families. Again, the idea of someone flipping through our file looking at our pictures trying to decide if we are good enough for their child- it doesn't seem like a fair and timely process (to me), and there are no guarantees. In China, we know we are guaranteed to be referred a child in a timely manner and that as long as we meet the requirements, we will be matched together with our family. After going through years of infertility, what we want as adoptive parents is a guaranteed family. I cannot take possible rejection by birth parents, or a placement that may not stick. And that is one of the reasons we're going to a country where children have been abandoned and so we know Olivia will stay with us.

* And I'm not even talking about adoption through foster programs. This is an even wilder ride! Can you imagine taking care of a child that has been pulled away from their family, and they can go back and forth a bit, and then you have to petition for adoption?

And the third statement confuses me a bit "so if you want all of the requirements that celebrities want you go overseas and pay the price".

I don't know what celebrities want. Are they making a statement that to solve the problem, you take the people out of the situation and buy them a nanny and the world is a better place? I don't agree. And I am the first person to agree that the best family for a Chinese orphan is a Chinese family in China. Next best thing is a family of Chinese descent in another country and we are third on the list. Do I feel that it is a great thing for a kid to be picked up by Angelina Jolie and tossed into the growing brood she has while she jets around the world on the hunt for another one? Not at all. When you adopt one child you are helping exactly one child. But if the money that all the celebrities spend (on private jets alone!) was used to improve the conditions in those countries... what a better idea. I guess it is the "teach a man to fish" saying. It is my hope that one day the China program will shut down because these children aren't abandoned anymore, or if they are, they are adopted domestically. That is what is best for most of the stakeholders involved. Is it best for me personally? No, that would mean that is one less way I can have a child - and that is my problem.

I find the mail order bride/ groom comparison especially offensive. I guess I would say that the only way that would be comparable, would be if to meet someone and get married in the US, the process was that you had to fill out a lot of paperwork, get on a really long waiting list, wait for someone to choose you, possibly have a couple of these fall through, and maybe get someone who is quite a bit older than you thought and then you have a lot more issues, and maybe have to keep sending pictures of them to their old girlfriend/boyfriend.

Chris and I have talked about looking at domestic adoptions. And I am going to repeat my comment that we looked at a few programs and we chose what was right for us- not right for all people. I have met quite a few of my students who were adopted domestically and things worked out very well for them. We may look at a domestic program for our second child. It was not right for us for our first, because we needed a guaranteed outcome. I cannot do another cycle of IVF, pump myself full of the drugs, go through the emotional roller coaster, and put all my hopes on having one good egg this time around. I also can't do a private adoption where at the last minute a birth mother changes her mind and we are shut out. We want to be parents and we want a child that we can love and not have 4 more years of uncertainty about. China is not as predictable as we once thought... and that hurts- the slowing down, the difficulty in making plans more than 6 months out- it is very emotionally draining. But we keep our fingers crossed that 2 years from now we will finally be a family.

Sorry to get up on my soap box. And I am sure I have misstated something in my preceding rant. This process has been very educational for us and we learn more and more every day. I wish people would try to learn a bit before they throw out judgmental statements like this anonymous commenter did to us. I know that the increase of celebrity adoptions has put the programs under scrutiny and I expect to answer questions about it. But please try to be sensitive about it. You may not know us, or our journey and how we arrived at this decision. I don't walk up to pregnant women and ask them if they know there are plenty of children in the US to adopt. Why is it different for the rest of us?

Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers out there! (Birth moms, adoptive moms and moms-to-be!)

15 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you Megan!

It's sad that you have to justify your decisions to anonymous people, who think that they know what is better for you and your future child.

All that should matter is that your heart is in the right place, and you are making the world a better place and your lives happier by what you are doing.

Well done,

Kirk

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By all means, get up on your soap box. If not on behalf of all of us who have chosen to enrich our families through adopton, then for the children, who are just like any other children who deserve loving families. And, for that matter, for the poor misguided folks who don't know any better than to make stupid comments about a process they know nothing about.

Good luck on your journey! (We just got home with our son from Russia this week.)

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> We have been quoted with a price somewhere around $20,000 for this process. Quick side note... you probably paid the same amount of money if you had a child naturally.

Wow. Thank goodness I don't live in the US!

Having a baby in Australia costs almost nothing!

We had our first baby in a private hospital for less than $500 AUD(although health funds have changed since then so can't do it quite that cheaply anymore). Second baby in a public hospital for well under $500 AUD.

And the government gives you a baby bonus ($4000+ AUD) for each baby you give birth too.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best in your adoption process.

As new parents who went through IVF twice (first pregnancy lost at 18 weeks) both me and my wife can only say that the total joy you and Chris will get from your new child will be beyond anything you can imagine.

Just make sure you post some nice photos for us to coo at :-)

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly sad. It seems that you take no regards whatsoever to the child - you take it away from it's roots, the childs identity - the right to belong to it's own people. I guess there are som genetical disease amongst scandinavians (Anderson is a scandinavian name, swedish.) or something...

Ode to a dying people...

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to both of you (Chris and Megan). I remember when my brother and his wife decided after she became surgically infertile to adopt. The adoption process is not easy, especially not in the US.

As you note one of the advantages of an adoption from outside the US is the willingness of the courts to recognize a finality in the sense that once the adoption is complete the good of the child and the new parents is key. In the US there is a whole class of opportunities to essentially reverse an adoption for the benefit of the parents who gave up or mistreated the child in teh first place.

My brother got two children (half-brother-sister pair) and they are doing great and we treat them the same as all of the other children in our extended family.

As for the comment from Mattias it shows his ignorance - people immigrate to the US all the time it doesn't mean they've surrendered their history and the same is true for adopted children - the children my brother adopted look and act like other US children altough they both have a link to their country of origin which we help them celebrate.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger BleachBummer said...

Megan & Chris
Thanks for sharing your posting.

My wife and I have made several trips through the adoptive process both domestically and internationally.

We have one biological son... We needed help to have him. After unsuccessful in Vitro for another child we decided to adopt domestically. After lots of training and paying lots of fees, the LA County Child Services dept matched us with a bother and sister. After six weeks with them, we were finally getting all the schedules and family needs working together, when the children's social worker simply set up a fake meeting with a 'relative' as a means of taking them back.

We got no warning. We had no recourse. It became apparent that our location was inconvenient for the children's social worker so she found a way to 'fix' it. (She was supposed to drive 25 miles every week to check on the kids...She NEVER came) In the US, the children's social services people are 'czars' of the process. For both good and bad.

After that shocker -- it took a year before we even thought about it again. We ended up adopting a young 10 year old Colombian boy who had been abandoned since birth thru KidSave.org three years ago. (We just got an email from a freind, read his bio and decided to 'host' -- no strings -- for the summer.

We bonded pretty quickly so we took it one step at a time. The international process took time and cost a bit. But now we have two boys -- 14 and 13 who love each other and us very much.

The adoption system in the US is broken. The international system has problems because every situation is different. But our experience is that there are many other reasons to look outside the US. Trust your heart.

Bill

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger rand'm said...

I asked several women in the PRC what they thought about all the Americans adopting Chinese babies. They thought it was grand. However, I did talk to one woman who, after giving birth to one child would have liked to adopt as well. Their government (much like ours) makes this a difficult if not impossible process. Bureaucracy is everywhere.

My cousins (caucasian) Americans work in PRC, she in an orphanage for discarded, not "whole" kids. She would take care of these kids and one stole their heart. She is a new cousin of my and very engaging. Though she has been to America for cleft palette surgeries many times, her new parents have had to stay in China much longer than their original intended stay (about 5 years) in order to be old enough (over 30 each) to legally adopt her. You are very lucky, enjoy Olivia!

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what it would be like being a Chinese kid raised by a white family in a white suburban community. I'm a Chinese guy who moved here when I was 5, who feels like I would have been better off spritually/emotionally growing up amongst people who look like me. If you do adopt in China, perhaps teaching him/her written/spoken Chinese would be very helpful.

Otherwise, I still don't quite understand why people adopt kids from other countries when there are so many kids here, especially in Washington state who are in need of a good home.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Because it is really hard to do so. It can be wildly out of reach financially for many people. Also- the birthmom can change her mind, and you have to return the child. Why does everyone think this is all so easy? Have you tried it? Chris and I have been working on this for 3 years. And still no infant. (Please don't recommend that we adopt an older child. That is not currently something we're considering. A whole different ballgame.)

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that exact make. The prices for the shoes are around 340 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what do you think?

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices for the sneakers were all over 340 dollars everwhere. But finally I bring about this area selling them for half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what is your opinion?

 
At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging as far as something that meticulous model. The prices for the boots are around 240 pounds everwhere. But completely I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening fellas. I'm really into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that singular model. The prices seeking the sneakers were approximately 220 dollars on every page. But finally I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home