Monday, June 26, 2006

Greetings from Jury Duty!


I am doing my patriotic duty to sit in a giant room full of people waiting to be chosen for juries. I am at the downtown Seattle courthouse, which is thankfully air conditioned in our little heat wave we're having. You will probably see a few more posts as I finally have the time to sit here and blog.

Interesting news from China this morning. Up until now, Chinese women have been unable to find out the sex of their children in sonograms because sex-selective abortions were illegal. They can have them to see how the baby is doing, but the doctor is not allowed to tell them the sex of the baby, because it could cause them to terminate the pregnancy if it is a female. This made sonogram machines very popular on the black market.

It seems that Chinese lawmakers have been trying to help the population imbalance- where it is currently at 119 males for every 100 females by having this law with a 3 year jail sentence if someone is found to abort a baby because it is a female. But the conflict this decision is trying to address is the rights of the Chinese women who want to find out what they are having.

This will be very interesting to watch over the next few years. We know that China has been trying to reduce the numbers of orphans in their country, I guess this is one way to do it. (Avoiding inserting judging statement here.)


Day Two (update)

Still in jury duty. Got called to a case yesterday but was dismissed- thankfully. It was a horrific crime and I am VERY glad I didn't have to sit and listen to the details of the testimony. This is a really interesting process and I hope I do get picked to be on a jury so I can see this process through!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home